KC Gardens

What is this and how do I get rid of it?

Orange stuff

Q&A

I live in south florida. (i dont know if it matters) I found these things spread out half sticking out of my mulch, not really rooted, no vine, they are very light. I “pulled” them and gathered them together for the photo.

There has been a lot of rain and this area doesn’t get a lot of sun. My husband thinks its a fungus. How do i get rid of them for good? Are they dangerous to my pets or kids? - Michele -

Comments

  1. 6 months, 3 weeks ago

    Hard to tell from the picture, but it would be a fungus or a slime mold. Both of which would come from the mulch and are simply the result of having the right environment (shade, moisture) in which to prosper. Knocking them over should do the trick.

    Whether they would be harmful to pets and kids or not, I do not know. You should contact your local Extension Service for a precise identification of the fungus. Or you could simply gather and dispose of the growths.

    Carole Johnson County Extension Master Gardener

  2. 6 months, 3 weeks ago

    What you are seeing is slime mold. Slime molds are commonly found in turf, ornamental and garden plantings. Slime molds are secondary fungi that feed on bacteria, other fungi and organic matter. Although unsightly, slime molds rarely, if ever, harm plants or turf. If you want to remove this you can generally wash it away with a water hose, or rake it into your mulch once it has dried. You can also just pick it up and dispose of it. I hope this has answered your question. If not, let me know. Ruth Coleman

Sign in with Facebook to comment.

Copyright 2014 The Kansas City Star.  All  rights  reserved.  This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten  or redistributed.